Tuesday, March 23, 2010

HW 46

So I ended up giving up on finding a book and just somewhat read Catcher in the Rye. I wasn't really excited to read this in the first place and was not excited trying to get my way through it either. It was kind of boring to be a seemed a little bit unrealistic but maybe that what the book seemed to be like. But to be honest I did not finish the book because for some reason it annoyed me and I roll through what I did read.

To make a short summary the book was about a guy named Holden who is kind of an exaggerated failure kid who goes to some school known as Pency.Im not really sure where that is but I think it is somewhere around New York because he travels there later on. Hes one of those kids who generally seem to not give a crap about school. He seems to judge everyone and get annoyed at everyone a lot. There is a whole bunch of what seems to be like teenager drama around the beginning of the story like whether his roommate had sex with some girl he likes, Jane. After having a fight with his roommate he decides to quit school and go to New York.

In New York he stays at some Hotel. In the Hotel he watches people outside his window that he can see in other rooms and they do really unusual things like cross dressing and doing weird sexual things. He calls some girl that he wants to get to have sex with him and gets annoyed and just hangs up. I didn't really get the point to this part of book but I guess its maybe to show more of Holden's character.

Later on after going out and being foolish and then going back to the Hotel he ends up hiring a prostitute that the elevator operator at the Hotel suggests for him. As the prostitute Sunny starts to prepare herself for sex Holden begings to kind of hesitate I guess and starts to just talk to her. He ends up making excuses so he does not have to have sex and offers to pay her anyways for her services. She tries to convince him but he resists and she just gets annoyed and goes to Marice to try to get Holden to pay more money. Marice beats him up and the prostitute takes 5 dollars. And this is where I kinda left off at.

This book seems over exaggerated. Its as if its saying if you do bad in school and drop out you'll become like this kid, sad, kinda rude, and being beat up by some prostitute's pimp. It shows a lot of the experiences of what being a student is like although it kinda seems a little over exaggerated to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment